|ABOUT KELLY BRAY
| Kelly Bray is located
just north of the town of Callington. In the Cornish language, kelly bray means
'Wood on the Hill' - The hill being the near by Kit Hill.
Originally it was an agricultural area centred around Kelly Bray farm
but 19th century mining became a major industry with Redmoor, Holmbush
and Kelly Bray mines. A 3'6" narrow gauge railway was built
providing a means of transporting the output of the mines and
agricultural produce. This linked up at Downgate with the Kit Hill
incline which transported granite from the Kit Hill
quarry and down to the quay at Calstock. In 1908 the Calstock
viaduct was completed linking the line to the main passenger network.
The line was converted to standard gauge and Kelly Bray station renamed
This Early Map date 1880 or thereabouts - shows the extent of the railway yard. The Railway Inn - now the Swingletree is clearly marked but the station is yet to be renamed Callington Station and very few houses or other buildings exist.
Later Callington Motors (now Marquand Car Sales) providing a bus service between Callington and Kelly Bray. The village boasted a working men's Club in Stoke Road which is still there, a Chapel opposite ( since demolished although the graveyard is still in evidence) some houses and shops including a corner shop, Post Office, butcher, and baker. The Women's Institute - next to the Men's Institute was built in 1937 on land purchased from the crown.
As the map shows the station was located on the corner of Station Road and Launceston Road and was quite extensive with sidings and platforms extending over a considerable area. On the other side of Station Road was a large saw mill which serviced the mining and agricultural activities in the area. The site is now the location of RPB motors and the "large blue shed". The house associated with the saw mill "Mill House" is still there across the road from the pub. In 1966 the line became a casuality of Dr Beeching and for years remained semi derelict; it was locally referred to as Station Yard. It was developed a decade or so ago with a housing development - Harris Close - and the Beeching Industrial estate presumably named after the railway vandal of that name.
Note a volunteer to edit this would be appreciated